Families face mounting losses as floods ravage 16 provinces
Amu: Families across parts of Afghanistan are struggling to recover after flash floods destroyed homes, businesses and sources of income, leaving many residents without even their basic necessities. The devastation has been particularly severe in Nuristan province, where residents said floodwaters washed away parts of markets, hotels and other businesses, depriving many families of their livelihoods. “These hotels and buildings were constructed about 15 to 20 years ago,” said Zikrullah, a resident of Nuristan. “Their destruction has caused heavy financial losses for the people.” Click here to read more (external link).
21 Taliban Fighters Killed In Badakhshan Clashes, Says AFF
Afghanistan International: The Afghanistan Freedom Front (AFF) says at least 21 Taliban fighters, including several commanders, were killed and 37 others wounded in an attack on Taliban positions in Zebak district of Badakhshan. The front said in a statement on Friday that its operation began on Thursday morning, 23 July, from several directions against Taliban bases, units and military positions in Zebak and was still continuing. Click here to read more (external link).
More
Deforestation on the Rise in Afghanistan: Experts Warn of Environmental Consequences
8am: Several environmental and agricultural experts have expressed concern over the increase in deforestation in Afghanistan due to poverty, lack of awareness, and the dependency of the population on natural resources. They say that the unchecked increase in tree cutting in recent years has posed a serious threat to the country’s forest cover and will bring unfortunate consequences for the environment and people’s lives. They add that the continuation of this trend intensifies the risk of soil erosion, the spread of desertification, the reduction of water resources, and increased vulnerability to climate change, and that repairing this damage will require years. According to them, widespread poverty, unemployment, the lack of alternative fuel, and weak management and protection of natural resources are among the most important factors behind the increase in deforestation in the country. Click here to read more (external link).
Tolo News in Dari – July 24, 2026
German Court Blocks Mass Cancellation of Afghan Resettlement Cases
Khaama: Germany’s Federal Constitutional Court has ruled that the government cannot collectively cancel previously issued resettlement commitments to Afghan nationals and must assess each affected case individually. The ruling followed a complaint by an Afghan woman and her two sons, who had been selected for relocation to Germany under the country’s humanitarian admission program after the Taliban returned to power in Afghanistan in 2021. Click here to read more (external link).
Pakistan Rejects Amnesty Report, Accuses Taliban Of Misusing Hospitals
Afghanistan International: The Pakistani military rejected Amnesty International’s report on an air strike on a treatment centre in Kabul that killed civilians, accusing the Taliban of using hospitals and medical facilities as blind spots for terrorist activity. The Pakistani military on Thursday, 23 July, described Amnesty International’s report as baseless. Amnesty International said on Wednesday that a Pakistani air strike on the Omid Treatment and Rehabilitation Centre in Kabul on 16 March 2026, which killed at least 269 civilians, should be investigated as a possible war crime. The organisation said it had found no evidence supporting the Pakistani military’s claim that the centre was being used to store weapons, ammunition or for other military purposes. Click here to read more (external link).
Related
Nineteen years after his death, King Zahir’s legacy remains debated

Mohammad Zahir Shah
Amu: Nineteen years after the death of Mohammad Zahir Shah, Afghanistan’s last king, his nearly four-decade reign remains one of the country’s most debated chapters, remembered by supporters as a period of stability and gradual reform and criticized by others as an era marked by poverty, slow modernization and missed opportunities. Zahir Shah died on Aug. 1, 2007, at the age of 92 and was buried on Maranjan Hill in Kabul. He ruled Afghanistan from 1933 until 1973, making him the country’s longest-serving monarch. Click here to read more (external link).
Tolo News in Dari – July 23, 2026
Germany To Stop Recognising Extended Afghan Passports From August
Afghanistan International: Germany’s Federal Ministry of the Interior has told Afghanistan International that Afghan passports extended on or after 1 August 2026 will no longer be recognised as valid travel documents in Germany. In a statement to Afghanistan International, Federal Interior Ministry spokesperson Elena Singer said the decision had been taken in light of changes to the availability of passport applications at Afghan diplomatic missions, international legal requirements and recommendations issued by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). Click here to read more (external link).
