By RFE/RL’s Radio Azadi
June 1,2024
A boat carrying 25 people sank while crossing a river in eastern Afghanistan on June 1, officials of the country’s Taliban-led government said.
Quraishi Badlon, director of the Information and Culture Department in Nangarhar Province, said the boat sank on a river in the Mohmand Dara district, killing 20 people, including women and children.
Moulvi Mohammad Ajmal Shagwal, the district governor of the Taliban-led government in Mohmand Dara, told RFE/RL that nine bodies had been removed from the river with help from local residents.
He said that there were 25 people on board the boat, which sank at 7:30 a.m. local time. Ten people survived, all of them with injuries, he said.
Badlon also said the boat was carrying 25 people, but he said only five survived.
Shagwal said there were women and children on the boat, but he did not give details. According to the province’s Public Health Department, the bodies recovered thus far include those of a man, a woman, two boys, and a girl.
Sherzad Ahmad Khel, one of the survivors, said that the boat sank because too many people were on board.
The government’s Bakhtar news agency published a video message in which an official said many people got into the boat, and when it reached the middle of the river, its motor overheated and burst into flames. The boat then flooded and sank, leaving its passengers to fend for themselves.
District resident Abdul Majeed told RFE/RL that people had used the same boat to cross the river almost every day to get to work and shop in the district market. He stressed that a bridge should be built.
“It is very important to build a bridge here. We asked the previous government, but it was not built. We are still demanding that the government build a bridge for us. If the bridge is not built, similar incidents will happen.”
People of Mohmand Dara and other districts of Nangarhar use small boats to cross the river due to the lack of bridges.
A few years ago, a number of people died in a similar boat sinking incident in district.
With reporting by AP

8am: In the nearly three years since the Taliban’s rise to power, they have significantly expanded the unregulated and illegal extraction of the country’s mineral resources. The group has announced that during this period, they have signed contracts for the extraction of over 150 small mines with domestic companies and 30 large mines with Chinese, Iranian, Turkish, and Qatari companies. Meanwhile, the former Minister of Mines and Petroleum argues that Afghanistan lacks a legitimate government under international law, and no company or country has the right to enter into contracts with a geography devoid of a legitimate state. He asserts that any future government of Afghanistan has the right to take the contracting parties to international courts and seek compensation. 
Ariana: Afghanistan defeated Scotland by 55 runs in their final warm-up match on Friday ahead of the T20 World Cup. The T20 World Cup will kick off on Sunday at 5:00 a.m. (Afghanistan Time) with USA facing Canada. Afghanistan’s first match will be against Uganda on Tuesday.
RFE/RL’s Radio Azadi: The only technocrat in the Taliban’s cabinet has been dismissed and replaced by a hard-line cleric. Taliban chief Mullah Haibatullah Akhundzada on May 28 removed Health Minister Qalandar Ebad, a trained doctor, and named Noor Jalal, a former deputy interior minister, as his successor. The Taliban’s theocratic regime is dominated by senior Taliban veterans and loyalists, most of them clerics from the Pashtun ethnic group.
Tolo News: Abdul Qayum Karzai, brother of former Afghan President Hamid Karzai, passed away yesterday (Thursday) at the age of 77 in the state of Maryland, USA. He was born in 1957 in the village of Karz in Kandahar. Abdul Qayum’s father, Abdul Ahad Karzai, was an influential tribal elder and served in the National Assembly of Afghanistan during the reign of King Zahir Shah.
Ariana: With the rise in security incidents in Badakhshan province, authorities have installed more than 20 security cameras in crowded places of the provincial capital Faizabad. Provincial police say that they have installed 23 security cameras in Faizabad, which are active round the clock. 
