KUNDUZ, Afghanistan, June 9 (Xinhua) — Afghan forces have set free nine abducted passengers from the clutch of Taliban in the northern Kunduz province and the operation goes on to secure the safe release of remaining passengers, an army spokesman in the northern region Nasratullah Jamshidi said Thursday.
“So far nine passengers have been released and operations are underway to secure the safe release of the remaining eight others,” Jamshidi told Xinhua.
According to Jamshidi, the militants abducted 17 passengers on the highway in Khanabad district linking Kunduz to the neighboring Takhar province.
Taliban militants, according to some locals and media outlets, intercepted a bus on the highway in Khanabad district on Wednesday morning, dragged out 47 passengers and took them to unknown location.
Immediately after the incident, the security forces launched rescue operations to secure the safe release of the abductees.
Taliban militants haven’t commented on the report.
Other Security News