Tolo News: Hizb-e-Islami leader Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, who is also running for president in July 20 elections, on Thursday said the planned consultative Loya Jirga on peace will not help resolve the stalemate in Afghanistan. This comes ten days after President Ashraf Ghani called for a grand consultative Jirga, a traditional assembly, on the peace process in the country amid Washington’s marathon diplomatic efforts to facilitate direct talks between the Afghan government and the Taliban who has been fighting Afghan and foreign forces for the past 18 years. Hekmatyar meanwhile reiterated the call for timely elections in the country, saying the election is the only solution to create a “credible and legitimate” government. Click here to read more (external link).
- Afghan Loya Jirga To Convene Next Month To Discuss Peace Talks
- Powerful Afghan Political Leader Warns Against Squandering Peace
- ‘Impossible’ to Ensure Peace with Presence of Foreign Forces: Hekmatyar
- Rivalries of Regional Countries Fueling War in Afghanistan: Zakhilwal
- Hekmatyar Claims Dismissal Of Election Officials Was ‘Political’