RFE/RL’s Radio Free Afghanistan January 22, 2020 A U.S. drone strike earlier this month in the western Afghan province of Herat that apparently targeted a militant group also killed at least 10 civilians, including three women and three children, an Afghan rights official and a council member said on January 22. The Afghan official said
Tolo News: Razo Khan, a resident of Shah Wali Kot district in the eastern province of Khost, claims that four members of his family were killed in an operation by a unit of the National Directorate of Security (NDS) in Khost while his brother was wounded. Khan is now in Kabul “to seek justice.” He says
Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty January 20, 2020 The Taliban has killed six members of the same family, including an infant girl, in a remote village in the country’s north, Afghan officials say. The Taliban denied involvement, saying the attack on January 18 was triggered by a personal dispute. However, local Afghan officials said January 19
Tolo News: At least five employees of the Da Afghanistan Breshna Sherkat (DABS), Afghanistan’s largest power distribution company, were killed in a roadside mine blast in Zabul province on Thursday, officials said. One other was wounded in the blast, according to officials. Click here to read more (external link).
RFE/RL’s Radio Free Afghanistan January 14, 2020 KABUL — Two children have been killed and at least nine other people wounded after two bombs went off near-simultaneously in the northern Afghan city of Mazar-e Sharif, officials say. Adil Shah Adil, the spokesman for Balkh Province’s police chief, said the blasts took place on a road
TomDispatch: U.S. “plans” for the Afghan War might prove a crime against humanity – It’s a strange fact of our moment that President Trump has claimed to have “plans” (or “a method”) for annihilating millions of innocent people, possibly most of the population of Afghanistan. Yet those comments of his barely made the news, disappearing
By RFE/RL’s Radio Free Afghanistan January 4, 2020 An explosion during the morning rush hour in the northern Afghan province of Balkh has killed a local resident and wounded at least two others, police said, adding the victims were civilians. The blast was caused by an improvised explosive device attached to a vehicle, Balkh police
Ariana: Ministry of Interior Affairs stated in a report posted on its official Facebook page, stating that, “some 2219 civilians were killed and 5172 injured in Taliban attacks.” The MOIA called these attacks ‘war crimes’ and stressed that they are committed to providing security for civilians. Click here to read more (external link).
USA Today: U.S. military officials publicly touted the August 22, 2008, Azizabad raid – Operation Commando Riot – as a victory. A high-value Taliban target had been killed; the collateral damage was minimal; the village was grateful. None of it was true. The Taliban commander escaped. Dozens of civilians were dead in the rubble, including
Ayaz Gul VOA News December 30, 2019 The Taliban announced Monday it does not intend to stop fighting in Afghanistan, rejecting as “false and baseless” reports the insurgent group is ready to declare a temporary cease-fire in a bid to seal a peace deal with the United States. The announcement comes on a day when